Colonial United States - Golia
Contact, Middle Ground, Conquest: Settlers and American Indians
- Anderson, Fred. The Crucible of War: The Seven Years’ War and the Fate of Empire in British North America
- Axtell, James. The Invasion Within: The Contest of Cultures in Colonial North America
- Bailyn, Bernard. The Peopling of British North America
- Brooks, James F. Captives & Cousins: Slavery, Kinship, and Community in the Southwest Borderlands
- Calloway, Colin. One Vast Winter Count: the Native American West before Lewis & Clark
- Cressy, David. Coming Over: Migration and Communication Between England and New England in the Seventeenth Century
- Cronon, William. Changes in the Land: Indians, Colonists, and the Ecology of New England
- Demos, John. The Unredeemed Captive
- Eccles, W.J. France In America
- Gutierrez, Ramon A. When Jesus Came, the Corn Mothers Went Away: Marriage, Sexuality, and Power in New Mexico, 1500-1846
- Jennings, Francis. Empire of Fortune: Crowns, Colonies, and Tribes in the Seven Years’ War in America.
- Kupperman, Karen. Settling with the Indians: The Meeting of English and Indian Cultures in America, 1580-1640
- Richter, Daniel. Facing East From Indian Country: A Native History of Early America
- Usner, Daniel H. Indians, Settlers, and Slaves in a Frontier Exchange Economy: The Lower Mississippi Valley Before 1783
- White, Richard. The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815.
- Weber, David J. The Spanish Frontier in North America
The Northern and Middle Colonies
- Berkin, Carol. First Generations: Women in Colonial America
- Bonomi, Patricia. A Factious People: Politics and Society in Colonial New York
- Bonomi, Patricia. Under the Cope of Heaven: Religion, Society, and Politics in Colonial North America
- Bremer, Francis J. John Winthrop: America’s Forgotten Founding Father
- Bushman, Richard. From Puritan to Yankee: Character and the Social Order in Connecticut, 1690-1765
- Bushman, Richard. The Refinement of America: Persons, Houses, Cities
- Butler, Jon. Awash in a Sea of Faith: Christianizing the American People
- Dayton, Cornelia Hughes. Women Before the Bar: Law and Society in Connecticut, 1639-1789
- Kamensky, Jane. Governing the Tongue
- Karlsen, Carol. The Devil in the Shape of a Woman: Witchcraft in Colonial New England
- Lemon, James T. The Best Poor Man’s Country: Early Southeastern Pennsylvania
- Levy, Barry. Quakers and the American Family: British Settlement in the Delaware Valley
- Merwick, Donna. Possessing Albany, 1630-1710: The Dutch and English Experiences
- Morgan, Edmund. Visible Saints: The History of a Puritan Idea
- Noll, Mark A. The Rise of Evangelicalism: The Age of Edwards, Whitefield, and the Wesleys
- Peterson, Mark A. The Price of Redemption: The Spiritual Economy of Puritan New England
- Taylor, Alan and Eric Foner. American Colonies
- Ulrich, Laurel Thatcher. Good Wives
- White, Shane. Somewhat More Independent: The End of Slavery in New York City, 1770-1810 OR Foote, Thelma Wills. Black and White Manhattan: The History of Racial Formation in New York City OR *Gomez, Michael Angelo. Exchanging Our Country Marks: The Transformation of African Identities in the Colonial and Antebellum South
- Winship, Michael P. Making Heretics: Militant Protestantism and Free Grace in Massachusetts, 1636-1641 (antinomians)
Note: Check out William and Mary Quarterly for broad review essays.
The Southern Colonies
- Berlin, Ira. Many Thousands Gone
- Brown, Kathleen. Good Wives, Nasty Wenches, and Anxious Patriarchs
- Davis, David Brion. The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Revolution
- Fischer, Kirsten. Suspect Relations: Sex, Race, and Resistance in Colonial North Carolina.
- Horn, James. Adapting to a New World: English Society in the Seventeenth-Century Chesapeake.
- Isaac, Rhys. The Transformation of Virginia, 1740-1790
- Jordan, Winthrop. White over Black: American Attitudes Toward the Negro 1550-1812.
- Kulikoff, Allan. Tobacco and Slaves: The Development of Southern Cultures in the Chesapeake, 1680-1800
- Morgan, Edmund. American Slavery, American Freedom.
- Morgan, Philip. Slave Counterpoint, Black Culture in the Eighteenth Century Chesapeake and Lowcountry.
The Revolution: Causes and Experiences
- Appleby, Joyce. Thomas Jefferson
- Bailyn, Bernard. The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution
- Breen, T.H. The Marketplace of Revolution: How Consumer Politics Shaped American Independence
- Bushman, Richard. King and People in Provincial Massachusetts
- Crow, Jeffery and Larry Tise, ed. The Southern Experience in the American Revolution
- Foner, Eric. Tom Paine and Revolutionary America
- Holton, Woody. Forced Founders: Indians, Debtors, Slaves, and the Making of the American Revolution in Virginia
- Maier, Pauline. American Scripture: Making the Declaration of Independence.
- Nash, Gary. The Urban Crucible: The Northern Seaports and the Origins of the American Revolution
- Norton, Mary Beth. Liberty’s Daughters
- Royster, Charles. A Revolutionary People at War: The Continental Army and American Character, 1775-1790
- Wood, Gordon. The Radicalism of the American Revolution
Creating the Republic: Constitution and Nationhood
- Aron, Stephen. How the West Was Lost: The Transformation of Kentucky from Daniel Boone to Henry Clay
- Banning, Lance. The Jeffersonian Persuasion: Evolution of a Party Ideology
- Edling, Max. A Revolution in Favor of Government: Origins of the U.S. Constitution and the Making of the American State
- Kerber, Linda. Women of the Republic
- McKittrick, Eric and Stanley Elkins. The Age of Federalism
- Rakove, Jack. Original Meanings: Politics and Ideas in the Making of the Constitution
- Taylor, Alan. Liberty Men and Great Proprietors: The Revolutionary Settlement on the Maine Frontier, 1760-1820
- Taylor, Alan. William Cooper’s Town: Power and Persuasion on the Frontier of the Early American Republic
- Waldstreicher, David. In the Midst of Perpetual Fetes: The Making of American Nationalism, 1776-1820